Friday, January 13, 2012

A nest for now

Our bags are fully unpacked for the first time in...well far too long. It feels like home here. We have a favorite coffee shop which roasts their own beans in the driveway - the smell of which lured us in, in the first place. We have our favorite restaurants (which we can't wait to share with out beloved friend Brian who will be here on Wednesday!) I have a yoga studio and a massage therapist. I have become a creature of habit and it's simply divine!

Friday I finished a week long Thai Massage class. I had searched, for what seemed like an eternity, to find a school that resonated with me but it wasn't until we were here, peddling around, that I found my place. In the old city, down a little alley way with barely an indication of what's there, is NAMO - A yoga studio and massage school. My sensei, Nha Ja, was a beautiful and encouraging teacher and was full of giggles, which I personally relate to! I have also returned to "the mat". After having strayed for quite some time, my body breathes deeper and deeper each day with gratitude. Most days after massage class, I humbly put myself into the hands of Sumi, a beautiful glowing soul from Japan. Sumi has illuminated the gratitude that I must continually recognize for my life. For my body. For my mind. For the power of words to others. For the power of loving words spoken to myself. Thank you Sumi.

After massage class on Friday I arrived home a little early and much to his shagrin, surprised Nate. Not expecting that I would be back for another few hours, Nate had been bedazzling our room with love and streamers. Since we weren't able to celebrate my 30th properly at the time, my lovely man threw a proper party for me. The ladies at our guesthouse were in on it as well and all helped to celebrate late into the night. What a truly lucky lady I am. Thank you Nate. You are an amazing man!

Just to add more love to the mix, we are spending the weekend at my Aunt and Uncles house outside of Chiang Mai. Allan and Malee took us to an amazing restaurant last night that was an orchid paradise. Orchids are hands down my favorite so I was of course, in heaven. Even the bathroom was magical! After dinner we drove the long dark road to their beautiful home and then were promptly whisked away to a village celebration complete with Thai boxing, dancing ladies and cock fighting (the later of which we didn't see) and it just keeps getting better! Homemade bread, Makiam fruit jam, french toast, fruit from the backyard and fresh made starfruit juice from their own starfruit trees!! Oh and Nate is in seventh heaven because Allan was able to stream the Patriots game this morning. I however, am still high from our visit to the Elephant Hospital that we just returned from. Breathtaking. Strong, silent and majestic. The center is open for education, hospitalization and inspiration. There are elephants from all over southeast Asia that now live here permanently. Some have been brought there because they have become too old to be "of use" to their former owners anymore. Some lost limbs due to land mine accidents while crossing over from Burma - for these particular Elephants, they become outfitted with prosthetic limbs. We also met a 7 month old baby who was a victim of the recent flooding in Bangkok. She was separated from her mother and has since been adopted by a foster mother who herself is 3 months pregnant. Love knows no limits.

Tomorrow we will be heading to Burma for the day so that we can renew our Thai visas and add another stamp to the passport!

All in all a pretty blessed life...


No comments:

Post a Comment