Friday, January 6, 2012

Heart longings and the like

We are travel weary. Not of the journey but of the road. Us "birds" as my grandmother would say, left Vermont 72 days ago. Since flying away, our longest nest has only been for 5 days. Our wings are tired. I miss the snow...

I find myself wishing not for greener pastures but whiter ones. For the smell of cookies to overrun my kitchen. For that morning cup of tea to defrost my fingers around after they snuck out of the covers overnight. For the phone call from my Dad comparing snow falls.

I miss home.

Yesterday morning, after 12 hours of total darkness, I was just barely with my sleepless eyes, able to make out the silhouette of mountains from our train window. The next few moments, with baited breath, we watched the sunrise from one side of the train. From the other, the most beautiful shades of violet turned to pink and illuminated the misty hills of Chiang Mai.

It smells like Thai basil on the corner. Truly. I spin around in circles to wrap myself in it's spicy aroma. Its nourishing here. A welcome respite from the otherwise weary road. Suddenly home feels a little closer and I remember that there will be snow again next year...

I think we will nest here for a while. Rest our tired wings.


No comments:

Post a Comment