Sunday, March 18, 2012

Surrendering to chaos so that we may find the peace

I have been led here to pray. I have been led here to let go. I have been led here to be a part of something greater than myself, to surrender all that I know so that the entirety of my being can be shaken to the ground and my temple rebuilt...


Varanasi is the holiest of cities in India. To die here and have your ashes spread in the Ganges River is the most important ritual that a Hindu could do. Ascertaining them to ----. It's a ancient place filled with thousands of modern pilgrims. Every one of them surrendering to the power of the River. To bath in the waters is a act of contrition--- and one that is done in full view, without modesty. Overrun with pollution, tourists, poverty and cows, these elements seem to be lost upon those given over so deeply to devotion. Privacy is an unknown word here. Every aspect of life, takes place in the open along this powerful current that flows from the Himalayas. India is unlike any place I have ever been.

I've come to understand that these writings are the best way for me to process of all this beauty and madness while I am traveling. There is too much we have seen and too much that I can't understand just yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment